A Travellerspoint blog

Beachcomber, Bula and traditional dancing

Fiji- the story so far

Fiji is absolutely stunning! we are 3 islands in and arrived at Korovou today. The last few days (like the rest of our trip) have been nothing short of entertaining and hav met some wicked people in the process. We think we've been quite lucky because everybody we have met in Fiji have been great to get on with, although there were a couple of scouse guys who we're still not too sure about haha just kiddin boys.

We left the Nadi Beach resort and headed straight over to Beachcomber which is the infamous party island. It is absolutely stunning, even though you can walk around it in about 10 mins. Bright blue sea and an unbelievably clear sky....it all sounds fab, doesn't it? Well it pretty much was other than our arrival at Beachcomber. To get to the smaller islands from Nadi, you have to board a small ferry type boat to take you out- i think it's called a katamaran. Then when you get nearer to the smaller island, you have to board an even smaller boat to take you inland. During this process, your bags are taken out of your hands and ou're told to sit back and relax because you're now on 'Fiji time'. This was wicked news to us both and we sat back to enjoy the ride. Unfortunately, when we came to get onto the smaller boat that was to take us inland, we discovered that neither of our bags were with us. We were then told that our bags had gone to one island whils we were at another. Apparently our bags didn't quite feel like the excitement of the party island and needed to have a few hours chilling time before they hit the carnage.

We arrived at Beachcomber at around 10 am and were told to meet our bags when the boat passd the island again- at 4.30 pm. This meant we had to wait all day without a change of clothes. Luckily (and for once in my life) i thought ahead and put a sarong, water, sun cream and a bikini in my beach bag which staye with me. H had packed all of her swimsuits etc inher big bag and so bless her was scorchio all day.

Even though we had no bag, we still had a wicked day. Met a group of Aussie girls, one of whom is originally a Brummie and knew that good times were ahead of us haha. That day I went snorkelling and H came along for the boat ride. The coral is awesome but it has scratched my leg open and I've been having problems walking for the last few days. Don't be worrying though mum, I'm still in one piece and have thankfully lived to tell the tale via the good ol' blog haha. We fed the fish with bread and it was crazy seeing them all swarm for it.

Had dinner with the aussie girls and got quite a big group of people together. It's crazy how many Brits there are who are travelling but I guess you have no choice when you have weather like ours haha. The party island didn't disappoint and there was plenty of partying done. H got herself drunk (yet again, I swear she's wild haha) and was dancing on the tables. There was a limbo competition and we were taught the Beachcomber dance 'The Bula'. It's kind of like the Macarena and we are looking forward to teaching itto you all when we get back. Met some wicked cockney boys too, even if they do support Chelseabut hey everybody has their cross to bear haha. We have com to realise that not only can you tell a British boy by their socks- it's also in the way they dance. They all start off with good intentions but once afew vodkas are thrown into the mix, the 2 bottle stomp starts to come out. You all know the one I mean haha. The aussie boys taught them a thing or two and genuinely looked happy to be on the dancelfoor- they obvs hadn' been warned about the killer moves of Walker as she strutted her stuff in the sand and was bustin some pretty wicked moves of her own (which I of course have on film haha)

Day2 of Beachcomber is where we got our suntans, or more appropriately- burns haha. Paul introduced us to a couple of guys from l'pool who we have affectionately named Princess and Romeo. They aren't a couple or anything though but are quite a double act and bounce off each other in the same way that H and I do. I guess it's the Scouse charm that does it eh haha.

That evening was more of the same except this time H and I had mega mega sunburn...ah well cant complain, it's all part of the fun. We also saw Liverpool represent in the limbo competition as the boys tried their hand at winning the free para surfing. Fuelled by alcohol they both did really well and it would have been good to see them dancing with the aussie boys the night before because we saw that some English boys like to dance too!!

It was a brilliant 48 hours at Beachcomber and hope that all of the other islands are the same as that one. (even though word on the street is that the rest are all mege quiet)

Walai Lailai was a lot more laid back than Beachcomber but we still had a wicked time all the same. Have met some really cool people here too and have a fair bit to write home about. We have been savaged by wild beasts and sharks but dont worry, will get to that in a bit haha.

Night one at Walai Lailai the Fijians put on a fashion show for us and modelled some of the traditional Fijian clothes. They were wicked but they'd never get away with wearing it in England as some of them were made of loincloths and leaves- not really going to do much for you in a hailstorm is it eh haha. After the fashion show, there was a dramatisation of how the first missionary arrived in Fiji from England. The Fijian man who was playing Thomas Baker was smarted up in a shirt and tie and it was quite amusing to see him rip it off as soon as the act was over. Walai Laili is a lot less developed than beachcomber but is just as beautiful.

Got chatting to a few pretty cool people on the first night and had a few drinks which turned intoa few more. We weren't particularly drunk but stumbled to find our room again. This is because when they say lights out, they means lights out and every single light on the island goes out. This resulted in us fumbling round in the dark to get the bottle of vodka from each other when we went for a drink back at James and Catherines hut. It was a case of opening the other persons hand and placing the bottle in it, it was that dark.

Yesterday at Walai Lalai, we used our complimentary pass to go snorkelling with sharks. There was no tank involved, just us our flippers and the wide open sea. H started out with good intentions but them wimped out after about 10 mins. The fish were awesome and it was crazy being that close to sharks. On of the guys from our dorm had an underwater camera so watch this space for the pictures.

Last night the Fijians did some traditional dancing for us and then got us all up to teach us. Im saying nothing except that Karen would have loved it. You are a lucky lucky girl because I had just enough minutes left on my camera to film it for you!!!:o) After the dancing we sat around with the peeps from our dorm and played some card games. I now know how to play Irish Snap and Cheat although I'm not very good at either. We showed them how to play snap and it was competition a plenty haha....michelle won but I'm gonna call it first time luck- haha just kidding. you did well!

We headed back to our dorm with the intention of playing some more until somebody in the room decided to commit murder which put a slight downer on the evening. I'm mentioning no names but Joel you know what you did was wrong haha. There was a spider the size of a small country in our hut and it was decided that it needed to go, so we got rid of it. We came to the conclusion that it was the baby of the family and that its mum would be coming along shortly to find it. Luckily enough there was no sign bt after all the excitement we decided to switch out the lights and get some wel earned sleep. Which we all managed quite well until we were awoken by the screeching of Heather outside. Five dogs were outside and as she was making her way to the toilet they decided they would quitelike sme breakfast and decided that H's arm was going to be it. Luckily enough for her, another do jumped to her rescue and fought them off. She escaped unharmed although we did spend the next 30mins watching them sniffing around the door of our hut. DONT WORRY ELLIE!!!! H is still in one piece and her arm isn't going to fall off although she was a wee bit shaken at first. Everybody in Walai Lailai now knows about the savage attack and I believe you can expect the full report in tonights Granada news haha.

So we said goodbye to our roomies this morn but will be keeping in touch with them to let them know about Heathers impending gangrene haha just kidding.

We are now at Korovou and are going to explore, I think I'm going to be doing some kayaking to the next island but will see how my ankle holds up.

Bye for now

H and Deb

x x x

Posted by debski 18:00

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint